As North San Diego County, CA’s center for the continued transmission of the Buddhist teachings, referred to as the Buddha-Dharma, we are dedicated to the religious and educational aspirations of Jodo Shinshu Buddhist families. All events, activities, and religious gatherings are open to aspiring Buddhists, and membership in the Temple is encouraged for continued attendance. We are one of 60 Jodo Shinshu Temples in the Buddhist Churches of America, each independently organized, but joined in the pursuit of the Buddha Dharma.
The commitment and dedication of pioneer Jodo Shinshu families in the North County made possible the beautiful Temple we currently enjoy. Beginning in 1929, about 25 pioneer families gathered for religious, language schooling, and cultural and social activities at each other’s homes. Seeing a need for expanded facilities, the current Cedar street property was purchased in 1937 by the Japanese-American community. Following World War II, the Cedar Road property served as temporary lodging for returning interned Japanese-American families. In 1978 the present Japanese-American Cultural Center was built with a portion serving as a place for Buddha-Dharma gatherings. Rev. Arthur Takemoto (1980-1994) became the first full-time resident minister. Rev. John Iwohara served as resident minister from 1996 to 1998 and Rev. Lee Rosenthal from 2000 to 2009. We are currently being supervised by Rev. Marvin Harada from the Orange County Buddhist Church and his ministerial staff (Rev. Mutsumi Wondra, Rev. Jon Turner, Rev. Bill Dearth and minister’s assistants Ellen Hamada Crane and Jim Pollard) who conduct regular weekly services and classes. The current Temple facility was constructed and dedicated in 1987. We are a California religious corporation and an IRS section 501 (c)(3) organization.
The Temple is surrounded by a beautiful Japanese-style garden.
The main hall is capable of seating 408 people, and an engawa (covered veranda porch-walkway) allows for an overflow of 100 more for religious gatherings. A social hall including an audio system and stage, accommodating 250, is located downstairs adjacent to a large kitchen. Four classrooms are located to the south side of the downstairs hall. One classroom includes a small library of English and Japanese Buddhist books, DVDs, and videos.