Weekly services are normally held on Sundays from 9:30 – 10:30 AM, unless otherwise noted on our calendar page or monthly calendar. Following the service, an adult study class and children’s Dharma School classes are conducted from 10:30 – 11 AM.
The typical gathering is as follows:
• Ringing of the Bell (in Japanese, Kansho) in traditional calling pattern to announce the beginning of service
• Introductory remarks by chairperson
• Quiet sitting meditation and burning of incense
• Opening chanting (in Japanese) led by Sensei (one of the following)
• Sutra Chanting (in Japanese)
• Buddhist recitation (from service book)
• Dharma message
• Gatha (Buddhist song)
• Buddhist reading (chairperson’s choice)
• Introduction of first-time visitors
• Closing remarks by chairperson.
We use the Shin Buddhist Service Book of the Buddhist Education Center, Orange County Buddhist Church (www.ocbuddhist.org). These are available in the pews for use during the service and may also be purchased, if desired, from the Temple’s bookstore. The service book includes all the chants used in the service and includes English translations.